Turkish Visa for Nigerian Citizens: Requirements
Turkey is a fascinating country that attracts tourists from around the world — from the souvenirs and gifts of the Grand Bazaar to the overflowing thermal pools of Pamukkale, and even the blue waters of Butterfly Valley. Not to mention, architectural fans will love Mount Nemrut, while slow travelers will enjoy the quaint town of Amasya, and, of course, the bustling city of Istambul.
However, before travelers can book the next ticket to Turkey, it is important to note one small detail: a Turkey electronic visa is required for Nigerian citizens.
Before any Nigerian traveler can enter the country, they must have a valid online travel authorization. Thankfully, the process of obtaining a Turkey eVisa for Nigerian citizens is quick and easy — it takes less than 30 minutes, and can be done from the comfort of your own home.
There are only a handful of passport requirements for Turkey visa from Nigeria and you do not need to visit the local embassy, have an in-person interview, or submit a mountain of paperwork in order to be eligible.
Turkey Visa Documents for Citizens of Nigeria
Turkey has established a couple of visa requirements that are applicable to Nigerian citizens. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- A valid passport: The Nigerian passport must have at least 6 months of validity from the date of entry into Turkey. Likewise, it is recommended to have a copy of the passport’s data page that clearly shows the traveler’s personal information
- Two passport photos: The photos must be 6 cm x 5 cm and with a white background
- A valid residence permit: Nigerian citizens who have a visa to the Schengen zone, as well as a visa or residence permit to the United States, United Kingdom, or Ireland are permitted to get a Turkish e-visa. Please note that e-visas to the countries listed above are not accepted as supporting documents — they must be an ordinary visa or permit.
- An email address: A valid email address is required for applicants to receive notifications about the status of their electronic visa.
- A payment method: A valid form of payment, such as a debit card or credit card, is required to pay the visa fee.
Entry Requirements for Nigerian Citizens
Besides the Turkey visa requirements for Nigerian citizens listed above, there are a few other important details to keep in mind before you can enter Turkey.
All Nigerian citizens who have an electronic visa to Turkey are required to travel with an airline company that signed a protocol with the Turkish Foreign Ministry. Currently, the list includes Turkish Airlines, Pegasus Airlines, Onur Air and Atlasglobal Airlines.
Likewise, Nigerian travelers must be visiting Turkey for the purpose of tourism or business — if the traveler is planning to study or work in Turkey, he or she must apply for a different type of visa.
Finally, it is important to note that Nigerian travelers may need to prove that they hold a return ticket, hotel reservation(s) and at least $50 USD per each day of their stay in Turkey.
Some border officials may ask for proof before they legally allow travelers into Turkey, so it is recommended to have photocopies of the confirmed hotel accommodations, travel itinerary, and return ticket on hand in case this happens.
How Can Nigerian Citizens Apply for a Turkey Visa?
The process to apply for a Turkey visa from Nigeria is simple and straightforward. Travelers will need to start their application online by visiting the Turkey eVisa website.
There, he or she will need to fill out some basic information that includes their full name, passport information (number, date of issue, and date of expiration), contact information (email address and residence), date of birth, and more. The process can be completed from any portable device connected to the internet.
In the rare case an eVisa application is rejected by the Turkish authorities, travelers are advised to know some of the recommendations available.
Once approved, the Turkish electronic visa will be sent directly to the applicant’s email. When the traveler from Nigeria touches down in Turkey and goes through border control, it is recommended to have a printed or electronic copy of the Turkish e-visa just in case the immigration officer asks.
The eVisa Turkey is valid for 30 days, although it is possible to extend your stay in the country by visiting the nearest immigration office and inquiring there.